For the past few days I was reading a few books that really kept me busy. Therefore I could not post regularly. But since I have finished a few of them, there will be new reviews up in the coming days.
Few days back, I received an email, requesting to review a book from a Sri Lankan author. That actually made my day. I was so happy to see a Sri Lankan author, who has indeed written an amazing book. It is actually a novella of 90 pages, which was published on the 5th of March, 2018. I would like to thank the author, Ruvindra Sathsarani for sending me an eBook, in exchange for an honest review. So this is all about her talents;
To Sue, everything in her life is filled with a lingering sadness. From a depressive childhood to a hauntingly lonely youth, she tries to live with what life offers her. As she moves away from the sunny skies of Colombo to settle down in Central Rome, she realizes that she is leaving behind not only her own birth roots but also her counterpart, Avi – the boy with whom she shared her childhood.
Even though their friendship has ruptured, Avi and Sue lead parallel lives, with the same notes of discontentment and disillusionment about the worlds they live in. As they both search for meaning in life, they cannot leave behind the monstrous memories and struggles of their past: to Sue, her mother’s deviated sexuality; to Avi, his dream of a better life…
Until one dreary night when Avi accidentally walks into trouble, witnessing the bloody murder of a helpless woman. He struggles to fight the demons of that night but the shadows of his past haunt him until a way to escape his misery walks into his life. (from Goodreads)
Set in a Sri Lankan atmosphere, we meet the two main characters Sue and Avi.
- Sue – A young woman who lives in her own solitude. She feels insecure due to the family problems that prevail in her family. Her father leaves her, when she was young and she afterwards she turns to her mother for the love, care and attention. But she fails because her mother has become a lonely soul after her dad leaves the family. Sue is left heart-broken.
- Avi – A young man, who falls in love with Sue. But refuses to continue the relationship. His own point of view is completely absurd (or which I feel). He thinks that once you begin a relationship, you completely lose your freedom and you are bound with endless responsibilities.
- There are two settings in the story, Colombo and Rome. In both the cities the loneliness and pain that Sue carries are emphasized.
- Common issues of a family or you can simply put it as the sorrows you keep in the family. Sue’s parents live in two different worlds and therefore she is neglected.
- Lack of her mother’s attention makes her even makes her wish that, she should die at a very young age.
- Her mother being called as a Homosexual, is a pain that she keeps in her heart. Her mother always feels that she has, a wrong kind of attraction. Being a Homosexual in the Sri Lankan context, will definitely make you embarrassed. That strong cultural point is mentioned in the story.
- When sufficient attention is not given to her by her mother, Sue looks for love in Avi and yet she fails again.
- The pain and sorrow that Avi hides in himself is mentioned in the latter part of the story. It actually made me feel really sad.
- What it takes to be a Sri Lankan in another country (How Sri Lankans are being treated in another county) is also highlighted in the story, which I think is a another strong view-point.
- Life, loneliness, suffering and sorrow are an endless cycle that follows us. These facts are depicted very creatively in this wonderful novella, using these characters.
Tremendous, I like it very much
Will I recommend this Book??
Yes, indeed. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves to understand about the Sri Lankan life as well as to appreciate the true talent of a Sri Lankan author.
You can buy this amazing book via amazon and Book depository.
Don’t forget to check out this amazing book, and share your thoughts in the comments below.
Until next post,