Welcome to my blog and another review is ready for you!
Mari Lu, was one of my favorite authors and I so badly wanted to read Warcross for a such along time. Last week purchased the book via Amazon, and it was a total hit.
For the millions who log in every day, Warcross isn’t just a game—it’s a way of life. The obsession started ten years ago and its fan base now spans the globe, some eager to escape from reality and others hoping to make a profit. Struggling to make ends meet, teenage hacker Emika Chen works as a bounty hunter, tracking down players who bet on the game illegally. But the bounty hunting world is a competitive one, and survival has not been easy. Needing to make some quick cash, Emika takes a risk and hacks into the opening game of the international Warcross Championships—only to accidentally glitch herself into the action and become an overnight sensation.
Convinced she’s going to be arrested, Emika is shocked when instead she gets a call from the game’s creator, the elusive young billionaire Hideo Tanaka, with an irresistible offer. He needs a spy on the inside of this year’s tournament in order to uncover a security problem . . . and he wants Emika for the job. With no time to lose, Emika’s whisked off to Tokyo and thrust into a world of fame and fortune that she’s only dreamed of. But soon her investigation uncovers a sinister plot, with major consequences for the entire Warcross empire. (from Goodreads)
From 2017, I was trying to get a hold of this book, but did not get the opportunity. First I fell in love with the cover with its colorful letters. I was able to complete the book within 3 days, because it was completely intriguing.
So, this is why the book was completely special to me;
- We meet our valorous female protagonist, Emika Chan who is a bounty hunter in the New York city, draped in poverty and debt. Her life changes from penniless to affluent in days by the offer of the young, well renowned, billionaire and the creator of the Warcross game, Hideo Tanaka.
- The story was amazing. I was speechless after reading it. I felt that Marie Lu being in the video game industry, have had some influence in creating this story.
- One of the most important things that I found in this story was that it did not get dragged or bogged down in the same place. It is totally hypersonic, which is why I love it so much. You feel that the story is moving forward while reading without being in the same spot. It kept me hooked-up to the book till the end, without feeling even slightly bored.
- The romance aspect of the story was really great and I enjoyed reading. I found the romance between Hideo and Emika, super cute. ❤ ❤ ❤ The way their love built, gradually is so adorable.
- The ending was totally not what I expected. There is an excitement that builds gradually when you reach the end of the story. The ending makes the reader wants to know what will happen next? So, definitely the sequel 🙂
- If I don’t talk about Hideo Tanaka, I think I am being completely unfair. Hideo’s character is the most complicated one the in the story. His childhood and how it affected in his present life is well presented by the author.
- Overall the plot, characters and the settings are amazing.
There is so much I can keep on talking about this wonderful story. But, I am forcing myself to stop from here 🙂 🙂 🙂
(5/5) Tremendous, I like it very much
Do share your thoughts about this amazing book too….
That’s it for today folks,
Until next post!