Magnificent Mrs. Mayhew by Milly Johnson
Sophie Mayhew looks like she has the perfect life. Wife of rising political star John F Mayhew, a man who is one step away from the top job in the government, her glamour matches his looks, power, breeding and money. But John has made some stupid mistakes along the way, some of which are threatening to emerge. Still, all this can still be swept under the carpet as long as Sophie ‘the trophy’ plays her part in front of the cameras.
But the words that come out of Sophie’s mouth one morning on the doorstep of their country house are not the words the spin doctors put in there. Bursting out of the restrictive mould she has been in since birth, Sophie flees to a place that was special to her as a child, a small village on the coast where she intends to be alone.
But once there, she finds she becomes part of a community that warms her soul and makes her feel as if she is breathing properly for the first time. Sophie knows she won’t be left in peace for long. Now she must decide: where does her real future lie?
I was listening to the audio book, well it was a hit. I could not stop listening to it, and had several sleepless nights to reach to the end of the story. It was that amazing.
I enjoyed the story from the very beginning until the end. The way the story was narrated in the audio book, was the main reason that I really wanted to listen to it. This is what I felt about the story. I thought I should discuss a bit about the two main characters in the story.
- I found her as a rather wonderful and fascinating character.
- She always enjoyed being herself, but she was forced by her husband to become someone completely different.
- She was used by her husband as “Sophie the Trophy”, which was sad.
- She is a loving and warm character, that concerns about the happiness of the others.
- Her drive to achieve her passions are wonderful and finally she becomes the person, she really wanted to be.
- Her courage to stand up for herself really blows up the mind of the reader.
- Not the type of a husband that anyone woman would ever wish for.
- I felt that he is a selfish jerk. (but I really felt it :))
- He is completely focused on his political life, and would do anything to protect his alliances and political position.
- He has no plans to have his own family life and keeps on cheating to Sophie.
- Felt so bad for the way he controlled the life of Sophie, and the way he swore on the name of their dead baby son.
- He finally accepts the defeat (way to go, girl power!!!)
- I really hated him, when he was trying to send Sophie to a Asylum.
It was such a warm and cozy story, that took my heart. I felt that story speaks volumes about women who are struggling to have a happy marriage life. I enjoyed the setting of the story. It was very easy to visualize the mental images when listening to the audio book. Everything was perfectly described. In love with the plot and Sophie. It was like reading about a good friend. Well written and such an enjoyable read!!! Great work from the author.
Tremendous, I like it very much
That is all for today, and I hope you enjoyed. Do leave your thoughts and ideas in the comments.
Until next post,